Monday, June 27, 2022

2022 Orange Curtain 50K Race Report

Let me start by saying this is not the optimal way to train for a 50K, or more - well for most people - that is running about 20-25 miles a week, often less, with my longest run being 14 miles since I did a R2R2R almost 2 years ago.  Even then not much in the way of long runs as my last marathon was about over 3 years ago and my last Ultra was at Run Under the Stars 4 years ago.  That said I can also say I have been about the most injury free, but for a sore hamstring about a year ago, in the last 2 years than I have been in some time so while not optimal my training met one major criteria - stay injury free.

The Orange Curtain Race has a lot of distances to choose from and all run on the same loop.  They offer the following - 100K, 24 HR, 12 HR, 50K, Marathon and 10K.  It is also a basically flat course on the San Gabriel River Trail with the only rises mainly being 3 place where you go under a main road on the trail.  It is paved asphalt with a dirt siding for most of it which I used at the end to save my legs some.  Thus it is a good place for fast times.  Maybe the one thing that I find hard is the receptive nature does play with your head as there is a place to drop out every 10K:)

Here is my Strava data for the race - for sure see the slowing down in the mile splits:) Orange Curtain 50K

I went into this race knowing I was in goodish shape for maybe 13 miles based on some recent runs and a few weeks over 30+ miles but had no idea how I would do once I got past a half marathon.  Only signed up for this race about a month before as it fit into my schedule and figured it would be a good place to test my foot to see how it would do.  So, I put the race on the schedule having no idea how things would go and not much time to prepare so instead of changing much I still rode a lot and ran enough to “think” I could do this.  Even did a 120 mile ride two weeks before the run and a 110 mile ride the week before.

As race day approached it was clear it would be hot but how hot and when would it heat up was not as clear.  Race day came and it was about 60F to start with the usual humidity, but not Kentucky humidity, you get in the early mornings here in So Cal.  My plan, and I knew this could backfire, was to go out with the leader as long as it was no faster than 7:40 pace and then just see how it went.  I had a good idea that probably around the 3rd lap (race was 5 - 10K laps that were out and backs on the San Gabriel River Trail) which was about19 miles I might have issues.  Not so much with fatigue in the overall sense but muscle fatigue from the pounding of running for that long which I was not used to. 

The race started at 6:30am and I went with the lead guy, Paul Gesl who got 2nd the year before in 4:19, at a pace that seemed comfortable at around 7:45 to 7:55 min/mile and HR was at 134 - 137 for first 7 miles.  I was with leader for first two laps and then on start of the third lap came out of the aid station slow from filling my water bottle and was a little behind him and thought about catching up quickly but realized that was not wise as would need to pick things up too much.  Thus I stayed pretty even with the leader till about half way reached in 2:03+ and then I started to feel it in my legs as my pace went from under to just over 8:00 and slowed more from there so was quite a bit behind by end of the third lap and also had a very slow aid station stop at the end of the third lap.  From there the run was a matter of finishing as my legs were feeling really beat and I felt my hamstring tighten a few times so goal was to maintain so as to not walk and finish.  Thus pace started being at 9:00 - 10:00 but just kept plugging along.  Being an out and back loop course it was sure inviting to stop and call it a day but I knew I would regret doing so and just kept plugging along.  As there were other race distances going on and one person came by me I was not sure if he was in the marathon or if I was still in second - turned out he was in the marathon.  Thought about picking up the pace near the end, I repeat I THOUGHT about it, but kept feeling a little tightness in my hamstring so thought better of it.

I finished the race in 2nd overall and 1st in the 60-69 AG in 4:34:48.  For sure the last half was very much slower but think it would have been slower no matter how much slower I went out as the soreness was that which I feel just from time on my feet.  The temp started to warm up after the halfway and I think it was about 85F, or so, when got done.  Man did my legs hurt when done as felt like my legs were rocks and could not sit down without help getting up.  Feet were sore as well and had my usual soreness on top of my foot from tying my shoes too tight.  But at the finish did not feel any blisters but figured I probably had some and found I did later.  

I am writing this a day  or so after the race and while still sore it is very much better than it was.  Will still take a few days off running but try and get a ride in to loosen up the legs on Monday.  The blisters I got and usual toenail issues are what I get from having narrower feet.  Most people would get a 1/2 size larger shoe but I cannot as then they just fall of as cannot tighten them enough.  One very good thing about this is my right foot that in the past hurt for weeks after such a run was pretty much back to normal a day after the run except for blisters so that is a big win and one of the things I was testing out.  With no running races till Labor Day, Mt. Baldy race win So Cal, I can keep running to a minimum for a week or two to let my legs recover. This works out as I now need to get ready for Gravel Worlds (155 miles with 11K of Vert) gravel race in Nebraska come the end of August.  Then I go from there to get ready for the Mt. Baldy run Labor Day and then the Bourbon Chase Relay the end of September.

As far as fueling I think things went OK - no bonking on essentially very few calories.  In looking back I do not think I got enough Electrolytes as only then in S!Caps and one Gu Roctane but no more and think, no I know,  I needed more.  Plan was to carry plain water so could pour on my head, which was good, and go with Gels but due to this did not get a constant feed, including electrolytes, as is normal when using Tailwind.  Had planned on a Gel each lap after the start but realized when done I only took two them.  Also, did not use my usual Bit-O-Honey as my sinuses were draining and giving me problems and I have learned that eating and running when this happens does not go well so did not use them.  A lot easier to get by with this when riding.  Again, probably could have used a few more carbs as well with the pace I was at but not too much - if I had taken the total of 4 planned I would have been good.  My fueling is below at the bottom of the report.

Kit for the Race:

Lessons learned:

  • My general training plan of riding more does work but to race longer races running I need to get in a few more long runs just to get the muscle memory so as not to pound my legs as much
  • I need to work on getting in more electrolytes as I think some of my hamstring cramps could come from that - even though I know a majority comes simply from not having run that far.
  • This did let me know I can be comfortable at sub 8:00 pace and with more training can extend that out to 50K
  • To get ready for next years R2R2R I will need a few more longer runs and more trail running to get my legs accustomed to the terrain

At the end of the day while I went in wanting to run from 4:10 - 4:20 and missed that I am encouraged when I look at things realistically.  As I often say I did not get the race I wanted but did get the race I was ready for.  

Here is the fueling for Pre-Race and During:

Before Run:
  • 20oz - Modified BP Coffee
  • 1 packet - Instant Oatmeal with 1 tbsp Heavy Cream
  • 1 Vespa C25 - 30 minutes before Race - Did 2 mile warmup after this
  • 1 Vespa C25 - Right before race
Total Cals - 832
  • Protein - 33.5 g
  • Carbs - 49.5 g
  • Fat - 55 g

During Race
  • 4ea - 20oz bottles of water
  • 1 - Gu Naked Gel (@ about 1 hour)
  • 2 - Vespa C25 (1 at 2 hours & 1 at 3 hours)
  • 1 - Gu Roctane Gell (@ about 2.5 Hrs)
  • 4 - S!Caps (2 @ 2 hrs and 2 @ 3hra)
  • 2 - Small cups of coke  (1 at about 22 miles and 1 at 28 miles)
Total Cals - 290
  • Protein - 0 g
  • Carbs - 68 g
  • Fat - 0 g
#VespaAthlete
#VespaPowerProducts
#FatAsFuel

No comments:

Post a Comment