Sunday, July 23, 2023

Update #1 on CGM Use

Spike is from Tortillas
Here is a short update after my first two weeks with my Levels CGM - using a Freestyle Libre sensor.


As I stated in the first post I was mostly going to get used to the CGM and how the data works for the first 3-4 weeks and that is what I have been doing.  I have seen spikes when I expected them - such as eating a Pizookie ( https://www.bjsrestaurants.com/menu-item/salted-caramel-pizookie-2) which is a sugar bomb I rarely eat or having some tortillas - in this case only three small ones with some Menudo.  But also saw that oatmeal with cream and nutter and nuts, even with honey and blueberries did not generate the spike I expected.  That said I would really need to do an experiment for me to see how I react to oatmeal with the other items in it.  Also, noticed on my 110 mile ride this past weekend I did not get a noticeable spike, that I can see, from taking in carbs in the form of Gel chews but did see one when done and taking in some carbs. 


To do some of this investigation I still need to learn how to download the native data so I can look closer at the long ride and at the timing of when I took in fuel.  I want to look at some other runs where I did not take in any fuel but just to see what is up.  This is part of my wanting to see how fueling for me works and the timing.


I did notice initially is I had some pretty low numbers when sleeping but over the last week not so much so not sure if it is just a matter of things leveling out or not.  Or maybe just how I ate on those particular days before going to sleep.  Another one of those areas to look at.


Now this may be me but I can really see how this can help one work to minimize spikes.  If you are completive or like a challenge just knowing, via seeing past spikes, that certain foods will spike my glucose I will work to avoid them to minimize spikes.  I am also seeing that my body takes care of these spikes very quickly as while I have seen a few good spikes they are very short in duration.  The flip side of this that applies to most is I can imagine that of one endlessly had these spikes ones body could break down over time.


As far as comfort I really do not notice it is on.  The one thing that is a little bit of a pain - not literally - is the CGM takes the reading from interstitial fluid so is why it is on the more fleshy part of your arm and from others that have used one I was told if you sleep on it you can get some faulty numbers at night.  Truth is for me it would not probably be an issue but as I am a little OCD now I was told this I try and not sleep on that side:). But other than that no issues at all and am about to change it out as the 14 days is ending and even the cover held up well - sweaty running, showers and all.


My plan is over the next two weeks to further see how things affect me and work to avoid some of the things I have already seen do so.  Also, I am going to try downloading the raw data so I can see what I can do with it.  Not sure I will have enough data to do much at Gravel Worlds but do look forward to see how my body reacts during the two back to back races.


This is a chart from yesterday showing nothing much going on during my ride ( https://www.strava.com/activities/9502302658 ) as glucose was stable the entire ride. I took in 157grams over the course of the 6:30 ride but don't see any change in numbers when took in gels.  Dinner was with the Pizookie sugar bomb.  The spike after the ride was when I had some pretzels and almonds when done.




No comments:

Post a Comment